Athens
My fascination with Athens was threefold.
1. My friend Nathan is there.
2. Athens is Nashville's "sister city," and more I researched it, the more I wanted to see it.
3. Greek yogurt - possibly my favorite food.
My fascination has now grown, and I look forward to visiting it again one day.
Here is a brief recount of my time there:
Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012
It took a tram, a train, a bus, two planes, another bus, a trolley and about 13 hours to get to my destination (destiNathan) in Athens. By the time I got there, it was nightfall, I was tired and smelled of airplane, and didn't even really recognize my friend Nathan. He had a mustache and goatee that I had never seen on him, but he came right up to me, thank God. He found me.
We went to his house after catching up over coffee, and I was able to see his place, meet his wife, Marina, his dog, Brownie, and two cats (well, one is a kitten). This is the first time being around animals during this journey, and they soothed my soul. Nathan is an old college friend from St. Olaf, who enjoyed wearing the St. Olaf sweatshirt over the time we were there. That was fantastic. He has been married for two years, and has been enjoying living in Athens for even longer. As intelligent as he is, living in a place like Athens is quite possibly the perfect fit for him. The city, mired in history and producing many literary giants, artists and thinkers....... well, you just have to know Nathan to fully grasp the location's perfection for his ways.
His wife displayed an enormous, generous spirit, and her hospitality is unmatched. She was working for most of the time that I was there, but I still managed to get to know her a bit. I really enjoyed her company, she made the most delicious native Greek dish, and I had intense and yummy Greek coffee every morning. She even showed me how to make it!
Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, St. Catherine's Name Day (my sister's name!)
12:23pm
"Today I got my church on. Today's flavor: Greek Orthodox. It was pompy and circumstancey, and gorgeous and incredible, and I didn't understand a word of it. That said, Jesus and high fives are universal, I now know. Also, candles.
Then we went and saw the Parthenon and some other old and cool shit. Plus, Greek food. They also make Greek Yogurt here, I am happy to report.... Unlike some Swedes and Swedish Fish...."
And continued.... "I am referring to the red, gummy, fish-shaped candy that is sold around the USA under the name "Swedish Fish," yet have no authentic Swedish origin, according to preliminary research. Wikipedia references a nod to Swedish culture, but I blame said candy on distorted US marketing techniques. Essentially, when it comes to Swedish Fish, we have been sold a lie. Surprise, surprise....... :)"
Nathan is an intense man. When I am with him, my brain feels fully alive and challenged, and I love that. He has other amazing qualities too, but his brain is magnificent. It always was, really, but the years have been kind, and he is just as quick-witted as ever. He speaks both English and Greek (and has studied many others), occupationally freelances currently, and didn't mind taking me around Athens a bit, so I was completely blessed with a bilingual tour guide the entire time! I wasn't in Athens for very long, but while there, we saw some amazing sights. The first touristy day, we saw the Parthenon, not only from his backyard porch view, but also up close and personal-ish. I didn't want to hike up to the top of the Parthenon due to the amount of walking we already had done, but we climbed to the top of a rock where the Apostle Paul made some speeches or something in the year 1 A.D. or whatever. I made Nathan get up on the rock and make a speech too, as I took pictures, and then we stayed up on top of the rock, looking down at Athens in all its splendor and squalor. Surrounded by mountains and near the water, the city is simply stunning. The view from there was pretty life-changing, and the company was superb.
Per Facebook:
"Athens is EPIC, and I have pictures to prove it! Uploading those and my other ones from Prague soon....... :)"
Monday, November 26
Today we walked through parts of Greece, seeing fancy things and not-at-all fancy things. I got to take pictures, absorb culture and cuisine, and continue to catch up with my friend Nathan. We saw each other briefly at our 10-year college reunion, but really didn't get to have a lot of one-on-one time catching up with him, and that was 5 years ago. Essentially, we had about 15 years of catching up to do, like most people I am seeing on this journey.
The nicest part for me was being able to discuss certain subjects with him and having him question me in such a way that made me really think about things. For instance, when discussing my family of origin or my marriage, instead of just listening, he would ask an analysis-requiring question, and it would make me further dissect certain elements that I haven't spent time thinking about. Like a diamond - taking time to see each facet.
Per Facebook:
10:50pm
"Constantly reminded.... Life is full of endless possibilities. Athens was a link to the past and to my former self. Life in 4D. Maybe 5D. Tomorrow I mosey over to Barcelona. Destination #6. Excited!"
11:05pm
"To all who have expressed that my ways inspire you, I thank you greatly. I am just trying to follow my bliss, live honestly, gently and authentically, and seek personal clarity and direction, which is admittedly currently so very self-serving. Yet to hear that the reach is more vast than just myself, well, THAT is the definition of awesome. I would encourage anyone and everyone to seize the day in a healthy way. :)"
Tuesday, Nov. 27- Travel Day from Prague to Barcelona
1:30pm
"Cab to a train to a bus to a plane to a bus, and then, today I will find my old friend Monica Castillo somewhere in the middle of Barcelona. Thus far, I have almost completed the journey to the Athens plane that will take me there.
P.S. Thank you for all the love notes. I have some sweet sweet friends and associates!"
2:00pm
"A very special shout out to Nathan Kuhlman, my intelligent and gracious host in Athens. Not only did he make Athens 100 percent accessible and manageable, but my brain was awakened via cerebral and philosophical conversations. My vocabulary, literally, historically and globally, was expanded in a very short and intense amount of time. I hope good things rain down upon him. I have no doubt they will."
No comments:
Post a Comment